Thursday, November 3, 2011

Those who think they're funny, please Stand up


Of all the things that made headlines last month, this wasn't one of them. 

My girlfriend dobbed me in to have a crack at stand up comedy. There is an open mike night here at the Rhino Room every Monday, and the people there are awesome and very supportive. Check them out if you are in the area.

The guys from The Chess Hammer and the Chess Hammer collective came out for support, we had a few local beers and pear ciders, and it turned out to be a good night.


I loved it. I was shitting myself, but I loved it. It is an amazing experience to make a room full of people laugh, and equally amazing to hear silence. 

Some of the jokes were adapted from this blog, and I will be having another crack soon. I will let you know how that one goes. It should be within the next week or so.

Unless I die in the arse...

2 comments:

  1. That was actually a lot better than I thought it would be. Not to say I thought it would be bad, just to say that you've got great timing and didn't stumble as I thought you might. I've always been told I should try this too. I have some great material. Just haven't found the courage to do it yet. I'm more of a Mitch Hedberg one-liner type.

    My friends' favorite so far: "My wife is a slow learner... then again, there's only so many times you can punch a woman before she blacks out."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I could make out (while my wife blares the CMA awards) was funny. Like Beer ahead of me (great band name) I think you have good timing and the nervousness wasn't evident.

    I too have been told to do this, but I am much better with a setup man. I do snarky reply like nobody else, lol.

    I'm reading some of your other writing now, good stuff.

    Scott
    http://itsmynd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete